It’s time to hash this out.
Do we as Red Sox fans want Alex Rodriguez on this team?
To me, there are a couple issues:
- Is Mike Lowell a viable option? If not — either because he’s asking too much or signs right out of the gate elsewhere — then A-Rod becomes much more palatable.
- Is A-Rod worthwhile up to a certain price? $30 million a year for 10 years? No thanks. $30 million for five? Maybe.
- How much stock do you put in off-field antics? It’s hard to say anyone’s more distracting than manny Ramirez, so do we care much what strippers A-Rod is with?
- The clutch factor. Do you truly believe A-Rod doesn’t perform in the clutch, and that his teams haven’t won a championship because he’s on them? Considering the teams he’s been with, that seems to ignore a whole lot of other, more likely problems inherent with those clubs.
- Likability. I think of this as a non-starter. Most people don’t seem to like Curt Schilling, but cheer wildly for him. Josh Beckett tends to act like a jerk a lot of the time, but people love him. J.D. Drew seems like one of the nicest guys on the planet, but until he hit that grand slam, he was booed all season.
So, do you want him? If not, would you take him anyway for lack of a better option? If so, at what price?