A-Rod’s strategy this season is to tell the truth at all times. Today, he revealed a secret he’s been harboring these last three years: Derek Jeter and he are not close friends anymore:
"We were best of friends about 10, 13, 14, years ago, and we
still get along well. We have a good working relationship. I cheer
very hard for him. He cheers hard for me. And most importantly,
we’re both trying to win a world championship," Rodriguez said.
What’s changed? He made it sound as if they had just grown
"The reality is there’s been a change in the relationship over
14 years and, hopefully, we can just put it behind us," Rodriguez
said. "You go from sleeping over at somebody’s house five days a
week, and now you don’t sleep over. It’s just not that big of a
During the offseason, former Yankee Darryl Strawberry said Jeter
needs to "embrace" Rodriguez. A-Rod said he didn’t feel Jeter
needed to support him more.
"I’m a big boy. I’m 31 years old now, so I should be able to
help myself out there," he said. "I care about what he thinks
about me on the field. I think it’s important for us to be on the
right page. And we are. We’re here to win a championship
When he was first asked about Jeter, Rodriguez said this would
be the only time he would address the topic.
"Let’s make a contract: You don’t ask me about Derek anymore,
and I promise I’ll stop lying to all you guys," A-Rod told
So there it is. A-Rod has set up a "Liar Liar" scenario in which he must tell the truth at all times. What else will A-Rod reveal this year? My guesses:
- He was a bit peeved when Torre batted him 8th against the Tigers.
- Rodriguez would prefer to move his locker away from Giambi’s because Jason smells unusually bad after games.
- He hates Mike Mussina, and, in fact, hates about 80% of his teammates.
- He once killed a man just to watch him die. It didn’t help him get out of his slump and so he hasn’t kill another man.
- A-Rod’s kind of embarrassed to admit it, but he doesn’t "get" most of Fellini’s films.
Seriously, what if A-Rod told the truth about whether he plans to opt out of his contract this year? What would he say? What do you think?