In appreciation of the job that Terry Francona has done for the Red Sox, and in the face of mounting criticism (from at least one person, not a Sox fan) over my simultaneous arrogance and ignorance regarding Tito’s accomplishments, I thought I would take some time to research our dear field leader’s greatest hits and present those things that he does well. After all, everyone needs a hug now and then, even a highly paid baseball manager. So herewith are the Top 10 best decisions (of many, admittedly, too numerous to list) made by Terry Francona in the 3 years of his Boston tenure:
1. Gave Dave Roberts that green light.
2. 2004 Playoffs pitching management, sheer brilliance.
3. Showed faith in Kevin Youkilis to play full-time at first base.
4. Continues to bat David Ortiz 3rd.
5. Wore "Gay-Rod" tee shirt under uniform during recent series in the Bronx.
6. Turned down maraschino cherry on ice cream sundae during weekend trip to Toscanini’s.
7. Got off the Pike at Allston/Cambridge exit on rush-hour trip to Fenway after listening to traffic report and learning of accident in Pru tunnel.
8. Prefers New England Clam Chowder to bastard cousin, Manhattan Clam Chowder.
9. Voted incessantly for American Idol dead-ender Elliot Yamin.
10. Legally added an "h" at the end of "Francona" to feel more like the locals.
Now who says we never give him credit for anything?!