It’s lemons-to-lemonade day at YFSF and so a reassessment of the Carl Pavano situation is needed. Most Yankees fan agree that Pavano has been a $48 miliion disappointment, but their judgement is clouded by a simple-minded short-sightedness. Pavano, in fact, has been good, even potentially great. Yanks fans need to remember the following things about Our Man in Florida:
- His 2006 ERA is practically non-existent. It’s lower than Papelbon’s.
- "Crash" Pavano’s k-to-bb is infinity…Wow!
- He’s been a unifying force in the clubhouse. Reportedly after his latest injury, players toilet-papered his locker. You can’t quantify what a player adds to the chemistry of a team, but it seems that Carl brings people together.
- Another incredible stat: Pavano has yet to get behind in the count to a major league batter this year.
- He’s added much-needed flamboyance to the otherwise working-man character of the team. The "Hot"-factor is back in the Bronx. His girlfriends have included Alyssa Milano and international supermodels. Not since Joe Namath has a player has the city been witness to such an iconoclastic heartthrob.
Who knows how many wins Pavano has contributed to the Yankees season? Without his (perhaps voluntary) departure from the team, would we have had a chance to see Wang last year? Does Wang develop into the best pitcher of the rivalry this season? Does the 2005 Aaron Small story exist without Carl? In all, he’s been a force for good for the Yanks. And to think! He’ll be on the team two more years!