This has certainly been a busy day on YFSF — 365 comments, which includes game threads, ARod rumors and Shea Hillenbrand… Despite all that chatter, we’ve missed some news that actually has some bearing on our two clubs:
- Alex Rodriguez is still playing for the Yankees. At least for now.
- Octabio Dotel is not — and might not be for the remainder of the season. The Yanks are considering shutting the injured reliever down after cutting his rehab assignment short because of arm soreness. The Yanks did get good news about Matsui (possible BP within days) and Cano.
- Tim Wakefield, as expected, went on the DL with a broken rib. He’s out at least three weeks. Sox’ starters for the first two games of their West Coast swing: "Kyle Snyder" and "TBA." Greeeaat.
- The Indians traded closer Bob Wickman to the Braves for a minor-league catcher, which begs the question: How far has Kelly Shoppach’s star fallen?
- Yankee fans, welcome to the hell that is facing Vernon Wells.
- Finally, Buster Olney is reporting — as relayed by Baseball Tonight — that the Red Sox are in talks with the Padres to trade Mike Lowell for pitching. Also, check out this stripped-down version of ESPN.com’s Rumor Central, which not only lists Lowell but Hillenbrand with a headline of "Boston common?" (Possible scenario: Sox trade Lowell for Peavy or Chris Young, move Youk to third, get Hillenbrand at first — this is not an unpleasant thought).