The Herald’s John Tomase reports that Gary Sheffield actually wanted to sign with the Red Sox when it appeared the Yanks might let him go as a free agent. He also felt that Sox fans respected him:
Sheffield never felt hated by Red Sox fans.
“I never got that sense,” he said. “Even when I was out in public, Boston fans would say, ‘Why are you hanging out with Jeter?’ And Jeter would say, ‘Man, when we go out in Boston, no one messes with Gary. Everybody’s always talking good about Gary.’ I used to wonder why, too. Maybe it’s the style of play or something else, but I always sensed the respect factor, even when I came to the plate.”
Hmm…Maybe Gary’s right…Maybe Gary’s completely delusional. Let’s see what our own Sox fans have had to say on the matter of Sheffield.
- "speaking of a-holes, sheff is a huge one."-sf rod, Nov. 6, 2006
- "That said, Sheff = a-hole." -Paul SF, Nov. 6, 2006
- "[Sheffield] is full of sh*t." -SF, Jan. 16, 2007
- "Reason # 32435984750470293874029387 that I would never want this punk a** b*tch (Editor’s note: Gary Sheffield) on the Red Sox."-LocklandSF, Nov. 1, 2006
- "See, this is another reason why I wonder how in the world someone would want to give up any real value for a guy (Editor’s note: Gary Sheffield) who is such a pain in the neck."-mouse, Nov. 1, 2006
- "I realize some people could say similar things about Manny, but "Manny being Manny" is nothing like ‘Sheff being Sheff.’"-mouse, Nov. 1, 2006
- "Yeah, you read this and you automatically think "heckuva guy, that Sheff". Or not." -SF, Nov. 9, 2006
- "now that gary is a lame duck yankee, can we all agree he is both a cheater and a horrible liar? hopefully now, we will finally get to see the video of r. kelly and gary’s gosphel singing wife."- sf. rod, Nov. 9, 2006
Yeah, Gary, they respect you in Boston!