OK, just for some reference, so we can discuss the "hometown discount" theory that players should take slightly less from their current team to stick around for plainly sentimental reasons, let’s finetune the evidence and do this for just the clients of Scott Boras. I will start it off based on some rudimentary Google research – I have made a note if any of them accepted contracts from the team for which they last played that were less than were offered by new teams during their free agency.
- A-Rod: No hometown discount
- Jason Varitek: No hometown discount
- Jarrod Washburn: No hometown discount
- JD Drew: No hometown discount
- Carlos Beltran: No hometown discount
- Chan Ho Park: No hometown discout
- Kevin Brown: No hometown discount
- Johnny Damon: No hometown discount
The only guy I can think of off the top of my head who took (an extremely minor) discount was Bernie Williams, but Bernie was being offered something like 10% more by the Sox than the Yankees (not a significant percentage like the 30% that constitutes the Damon Yanks/Sox differential). Also, feel free to contribute to the list of players under Boras’ umbrella who will be due large contracts at some point, below. At least we can warn the fans of those teams not to get too attached.
- Mark Texeira