It turns out hitting a baseball really well isn't the only thing Mark Teixeira has with Alex Rodriguez. They're both also ridiculously bad liars!
Teixeira was asked specifically if the public nature of the Red Sox negotiations last winter bothered him. "It did, it did," replied Teixeira. "And I think in the end, it probably worked against them a little bit, because everyone thought the Red Sox were [my] No. 1, but in reality, the Yankees were gonna be the team, like I said all along, if all things were equal, the Yankees were the place that I wanted to go. It made the most sense for my family. It made the most sense for me and my career and where I wanted to go. Being a Yankee and wearing the pinstripes into the new Yankee Stadium, it doesn't get any better than that. They had a leg up all along."
So let me get this straight:
- "The Yankees were gonna be the team, like I said all along."
- "If all things were equal, the Yankees were the place that I wanted to go."
- "They had a leg up all along."
- We already know that Teixeira had chosen the Yankees before he even met with the Red Sox — and thus before they said anything publicly.
- And we already know that the Yankees' offer was higher than the Red Sox' — and thus not "equal."
- But it was the Red Sox' public statement that hurt them in their efforts to sign Teixeira.
Isn't that sweet? Only with the team for a few months, and A-Rod's already taken the newbie under his wing!