Great headline in the NY Post today — if you’re not a Yankee fan, that is. For once, the Yankees sound like the Red Sox of when I was growing up — when Mo Vaughn and John Valentin weren’t getting contract extensions fast enough for their liking, Jose Canseco was ripping the front office and agitating for a trade, and Mike Greenwell was throwing firebombs at the team on his way out the door. To recap the Yankee season of discontent:
- Gary Sheffield rips Joe Torre for his decisions during the playoffs against Detroit.
- Bubba Crosby says the Yankee clubhouse didn’t have much comeraderie: "It felt like everyone would go their own separate ways." Have the Yankees become the Red Sox? That sounds suspiciously like "25 players, 25 cabs."
- Of course, there’s the question of whether Jeter will let A-Rod play in the sandbox with him.
- As YF noted below, Bernie Williams’ Yankee career is apparently over after many months of uncertainty.
- And Mariano still wants his contract extended now, rather than later.