Terry Francona met the press today, making spring feel that much nearer. Highlights:
- My dark horse candidate, Julian Tavarez, remains in contention for the closer role. Francona also said Tavarez is "fine."
- Craig Hansen appears to be bound for the minor leagues (rightfully so).
- Francona "think(s)" Manny’s "OK," based on discussions with the clubhouse attendants. We’ll take what we can get, I guess.
- "[B]aseball players aren’t the best self-evaluators." Really? Even when they tell you they can go out there at 115 pitches and counting? *cough*curtschilling*cough*
- "At some point you have to play your young players. I have no problem with that." Coulda fooled us.
All the kvetching aside — and it’s all in good fun right now anyway — we like Terry. He seems like a fun guy. He helped bring us a World Series win. It’s cool to hear him talk about baseball again after months of silence. We even miss seeing him rock back and forth while Rudy Seanez discovers that the strike zone is actually somewhere above the knees. We don’t know why we’re speaking in plural.
This in no way disqualifies us from posting 2,000 words ranting about his lineup choices come Week 2 of the season, however.