A few things, quickly.
- Dave Pauley didn’t pitch "great" last night, as some people have said around these parts. In fact, he didn’t even pitch "ok". He pitched quite terribly, in fact. 11 hits, 3 walks, a hit batsman, all in 4.2 innings. Only timely double play balls (including one spectacular play from AG and one poor call from the ump) saved him from ignominy, Sox’ errors notwithstanding. This is the MCE, or "Matt Clement Effect", where if a starter guts it out for almost 5 innings and gets a couple of big outs we suddenly think he’s decent.
- Van Buren and Delcarmen: very nice work, last night and in the series in general. Tito showed faith in them, and he was rewarded. Could this be a harbinger of a nice bullpen, or just a flash of potential amidst some more growing pains? A pretty well managed game last night, except for:
- Youk batting 5th. I hate it. He’s the best OBP guy, sees the most pitches. Why is he batting behind the guys who should be driving him in? And:
- The Pauley slow hook. Two batters too many. We forgive Tito, they won.
- The injury bug: did it bite Lowell? What are we, the ancient, crippled, decrepit Yankees? Oy.