From Comcast Sports Net (courtesy WEEI) is this odd and interesting piece of news:
In an interview that will air tonight at 6:30pm on Comcast Sports Net New England, Red Sox principal owner John Henry told CSN that he is meeting tonight one-one-one with catcher Jason Varitek.
That would seem to indicate we'll know by the end of the Bush administration whether Varitek is returning for another season. It would also seem to indicate any number of potential scenarios regarding Scott Boras, the Red Sox and previous negotiations:
- The Red Sox really are refusing to deal with Boras.
- Varitek's a little mad Boras advised him to pass up the Sox' arbitration offer.
- Boras just knows this is the best way to get Varitek the deal he wants.
- Henry doesn't want Larry Lucchino screwing this one up, too.
- Something else entirely that hasn't even crossed my mind.
- Combination of any two or more of the above options.
Feel free to post your own rampant unchecked speculation here. Regardless of the reasons, it strikes me as quite unusual.