Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said in recent days that Los Angeles would have considered Varitek, but “we didn’t spend much time on it when we learned it wouldn’t be a crash course, it would be a degree program.”
More cuffs off a swiped crib sheet from Boras101 after the jump.
“When a major league team approaches you about a player and offers them a contract, I guess that’s serious,” he said. “I think that Tek has always been a person”
— What? Tek is a person? Seriously?
he’s the captain of a team in the major leagues, which is a rare event.
– And now an historical event in Jason’s career, it appears.
And certainly, Boston has let us know, ‘We want him back.’
– They want him back, but not for what I promised I could get him. Someone else besides Theo, call, please, so it’s not just me talking and so I can tell Tek I didn’t just torpedo his chance to play for an early favorite for the 2009 ring.
“We’re talking about it, but we also have to go out and look into other situations that might be [available] to him.”
– Do you still have my number? Anyone?
“We’re in contact with Scott about Jason. That’s accurate.” – Epstein
– Theo Epstein is truly, frequently brilliant.
“I’m not going to talk about values but, obviously, Jason Varitek is a guy that I think teams know what his value is,” Boras said. “I think it’s clear he’s going to be employed and do very well.”
– I’m not a smart man, but I know what VALUE is, Jenny.
Though it would almost certainly have guaranteed him more than his $10 million 2008 salary – since players almost always get a raise in arbitration – Boras said he never considered accepting the offer, which means any team that signs the Type A free agent must give up a first-round pick.
– “How much money did you just cost me?” asked Tek.
“The catching market is probably the hardest one to predict, particularly for journalists,” Boras said. “Because the fact is teams that have existing catchers don’t come out and say that they’re unhappy with their catchers because they can’t find better catchers.
“So until they know they can acquire a catcher, they often don’t let you know that there’s an opening.”
– I mean, What The F****** F***??!