There’s a number of ways to look at tonight’s game. It actually looks something like a childhood game:
- The Red Sox are playing the Devil Rays.
- But Scott Kazmir’s on the mound.
- But Kazmir got shelled by the Sox last start (5.2 IP, 6 ER).
- But he has a 2.48 ERA in his last five starts vs. Boston.
- But he’s 0-2 with two no-decisions in his last four.
- But the Red Sox are throwing out their B-lineup.
- But the guys who are sitting are actually terrible against Kazmir (Ortiz: .147, Ramirez: .153, Drew: .000), and the guys who are playing are actually pretty good against him (Kielty: .438, Cora: .500).
So who knows. Every cloud has a silver lining. Or is it every silver lining has a cloud? At any rate, it’s baseball, and more importantly, it’s the Devil Rays. So anything can happen.
All I know is I’d rather enter the weekend’s Yankee series in a position where being swept doesn’t cut the division lead in half. That can be evinced, starting with a win tonight. Comment away!
1. Lugo DH
2. Crisp CF
3. Pedroia 2B
4. Lowell 3B
5. Kielty RF
6. Youkilis 1B
7. Varitek C
8. Ellsbury LF
9. Cora SS
1. Iwamura 3B
2. Crawford LF
3. Pena 1B
4. Upton CF
5. Young RF
6. Harris 2B
7. Norton DH
8. Navarro C
9. Wilson SS