The Yankees gave it their blessing, and also plan to retaliate. ”We’ve put some calls in to some former Red Sox who went on to have success with the Yankees," said Staten Island assistant general manager Gary Perone, who intimated that a bigger announcement was forthcoming. ”We’re still planning, but whatever we do will be in a tasteful manner. We’ll have fun with the rivalry."
While the Staten Island Yankees’ front office exhibits a better sense of humor than my co-blogger and many of our commenters, we wondered what the local A-ball team could do to top the Lowell Spinners’ offer of free jerseys to little leaguers willing to ditch the hated rivals’ uniforms. Some ideas:
- night on the town in Times Square nightclub with Derek Jeter
- time behind the counter learning important skilled trade
- birthday party performance by local musicians
- afternoon of activity at area park
and there’s always the go-to for Staten Island eleven year olds –
- free mustache trim at neighborhood barber shop