Some observations, thoughts, following today’s victory.
1. Yawkey Way, now partly cordoned off by turnstiles (security barrier is no longer at the stadium, but outside), lacks the old charm. The sausage stand “run” by El Tiante is a Disney-esque sham, it’s queues are an unnecessary ordering device for the fans who used to congregate randomly outside the stadium.
2. Fenway’s interior is like an architectural Hell’s Angel, covered in advertising tattoos in a hideous manner. There are ads everywhere, two on the Monster, two over the 420 sign in centerfield, just overwhelming.
3. The vendors inside the stadium wear yellow Sox jerseys and hats. Nothing more to add about that.
4. “Yankees Suck”? Can’t we do better than that? I hate the Yankees, but that cheer is tired, unfunny, and inarticulate.
5. “Sweet Caroline” at the 7th inning stretch? I can’t even discuss this.
6. Manny’s Moonshot: I suggested that YF, sitting to my left and scoring the game, just write down “I-90”, as in “that one landed on the Mass. Pike”.
7. Jason Varitek can bunt, and apparently well. File that away, Mr. Francona.
8. A-Rod: looking frustrated and petulant.
9. Derek: looking frustrated and petulant.
10. Schilling: looking to be everything we expected, and more.