We all know the Red Sox are sending six players to the festivities in San Francisco, the Yankees three. We know these nine players will be knee-deep in autograph signing, media interviews, and, most importantly, burritos. But what are the "laypeople" of our two teams doing during this short vacation from the stresses of everyday Major League life? How are the non-stars relaxing? We got wind of several itineraries for some of our teams’ "lesser" players, and it sounds like non-stop fun. To wit:
- Julian Tavarez: Taking his test to become an OT-Level III
- Joe Torre: Replenishing his Ambien prescription; sleeping through the first half emptied his supply.
- Dustin Pedroia: Shoe shopping.
- Jason Giambi: Working in his garage honing his millworking skills.
- Wily Mo Pena: Racking up 8Ks in an all-day wiffle ball game with his nephews
- Hideki Matsui: "Rehabbing" his left wrist and occasionally, just for a little variety, his right.
- Carl Pavano: Filling up a bathtub with $100 bills, hopping in, popping a bottle of Cristal, and laughing his [ed. correction: strained] ass off.
- Doug Mirabelli and Tim Wakefield: Going mountain biking.