The Red Sox are off today, meaning their fate is in the hands of others — the Rays and Yanks are both active, so I guess we’re Rangers and Mariners fans tonight. With no game tonight, consider this your off-day thread. Potential topics include:
- Manny Ramirez (.600/.636/1.100) may have a better line with his new club than Jason Bay (.423/.500/.692), but the Red Sox are 5-1 since the acquisition of Bay. The Dodgers are just 2-3 since acquiring Ramirez.
- Jacoby Ellsbury has five hits in two games, after needing seven games to accumulate his previous five hits. He hit his first home run since June 15, compiled his first multi-RBI game since July 3 and scored more than once in a game for the first time since July 9. Is he pulling out of his slump? Well, on July 8-9, Ellsbury went a combined 6 for 10 with two doubles against the Twins. He then went 9 for his next 63 (.143/.169/.159).
- Luckiest team in the American League: The Angels (nine wins over Pythag). Second luckiest? The Rays (seven wins). The Red Sox are two wins worse than Pythag.
- League’s best starters? In Boston: 3.83 ERA. League’s fifth-best relievers? In Boston: 3.64 ERA. League’s second-best offense? In Boston: 113 OPS+. Why isn’t this team the best in the AL again?
- Hmm, maybe it’s this: a fourth-worst 4.11 ERA in save situations, including eight losses, tied with Minnesota, Seattle and Detroit for worst in the league.