The days are creeping closer. Daisuke Matsuzaka will report to Fort Myers tomorrow. Jon Lester’s there already. The equipment truck leaves Fenway tomorrow. The major members of the press have geared up their preseason questions, while those of us in the Red Sox blogosphere have started compiling lists to wile away the time. What to read while you pine for baseball?
- First, an excellent piece today by Gordon Edes on just what the Sox are doing to prepare for the impending arrival of the BASP (Biggest Acquisition Since Pedro).
- Likewise, Edes and Massarotti go after the Sox’ preseason questions — Edes in Top 10 stories form, Mazz in position-by-position style. This is something that Ian Browne at RedSox.com also tackled recently. Really, they all could be boiled down to three questions: Can those who underperformed last season (Varitek, Crisp, Pedroia, Beckett, Hansen) improve? Can the new additions (Lugo, Drew, Matsuzaka) fit in and succeed? Who will be the closer? If the answer to the first two is yes, the answer to the third becomes a lot less crucial.
- Lists! If you haven’t yet, check out the Top 100 Red Sox project, in which a host of Sox bloggers run down the top Sox of all time. SF and I will be contributing a total of about nine player bios. I’ll make my debut around the middle of next week, and we’ll post the links when our players appear. I’m not sure which players SF has.
- Coincidentally, the House That Dewey Built also has compiled a list, this one being the top Sox middle infielders of all time.
- Finally, the Herald reports that Matsuzaka’s awesome Asahi beer ad raised the hackles of some in the Red Sox front office. Two words: Lighten up. Sure, the ad made me want to run out and down a six-pack — even though I hate beer — but that’s just because I’m easily impressionable. In fact, I’m so excited to be the next president of Red Sox Nation, I’ve taken a second mortgage on our house so I can by 24,000 membership cards.