Easy to forget, with David Ortiz still coming back from his extended stint on the DL, that he’s having a pretty damn good season.
Here are his numbers so far this season:
- .262/.365/.495, 17 HR, 62 RBI, 46 BB, 14 2B, 49 R, 122 OPS+
Here are his projected numbers for the rest of this season:
- .262/.365/.495, 26 HR, 96 RBI, 72 BB, 22 2B, 74 R, ??? OPS+
Respectable enough, considering the time he missed. The low rate stats, still dragged down by his poor April, belie how good Ortiz has been since. For instance, here are his numbers this season projected over 162 games played:
- .262/.365/.495, 38 HR, 139 RBI, 103 BB, 31 2B, 110 R, 130 OPS+
Similarly, here are his numbers over his previous 365 days, limited by the injury to just 112 games:
- .303/.414/.608, 33 HR, 108 RBI, 82 BB, 29 2B, 89 R, 169 OPS+
But adjust those to 162 games played, and it’s simply staggering:
- .303/.414/.608, 47 HR, 154 RBI, 117 BB, 41 2B, 127 R, 169 OPS+
Granted, the 162-game projections are a little inaccurate, as Ortiz has never played more than 159 games, but seeing as he’s never played less than 149 as a full-time member of the Red Sox until this year, they’re not far off either. Ortiz is having another beast of a season, and it looks like he’s rolling at just the right time.