Categories
Yanks Gamers/Postmortems

When Moving Through Kazmir: Yanks-A’s Gamer

Oh let the sun beat down upon my face.

It’s a mid-afternoon getaway-game that sees AJ facing the Halos while the Yankees try to figure out the puzzle that is Scott Kazmir.

Comment away.

151 replies on “When Moving Through Kazmir: Yanks-A’s Gamer”

Total scrub squad going today…resting up for BAH-sten???
Hip Hip is banged up again, heard anything on that IH???

AG- if you read this, the Sabres are on NHL Network tonight (today your time) against the Maple Pukes!!! 7 EST

K for Shelley, color me surprised. Not. I bet he would be good in the NL? Since he really is a AAAA player…

1-2-3 2nd….Kaz settling in now. Awesome. Maybe AJ needs the challenge of pitching a close game? I’m really just reaching now…

Gardner gets on with an “infield single to the pitcher” which I assume was a bunt…LET THE FUN BEGIN! Although Kaz is a lefty so maybe not…

Jeter GIDP. Man, we cannot do anything right. They really need to get their shit together and fast.

AJ with 35 pitches through 2 innings…need a quick one. I would assume the top of the Angels order will not oblige.

thanks k…one of the gamecast refreshes had melky at 2nd after his double, but showed the yankees in the field…little timing glitch i’d say ;)
boy i hate to jinx it, but aj’s “looking good”…if you can “look good” on gamecast that is…

I just got home…another barnburner. Fast forwarded through the innings I missed. AJ is a headcase, period. It’s all in that empty space he calls a head. He wasn’t awful today but certainly not a solid #2 starter. I mean, he has to be the 3rd starter in the playoffs, right? I guess he could turn it on because he absolutely has the stuff, but…I don’t know. It is what it is.
Bottom line? Who’s pitching the 8th, can Hughes go again? 1 run lead in the 8th? This is a big couple innings for our heroes..let’s see what happens!!!
LET’S GO BULLPEN!!!

FREDDY!!!!! Steals 2nd on a pitchout…Napoli drops the ball. Sucka!!!
2nd, 1 out…need some insurance runs!!!

Nothing. Melky hits it right at the pitcher. I don’t like this at all…unless Phranchise is pitching the 8th.

Pena snags a liner at 3rd….1 out.
P.S. Jerry left the game with some kind of injury so Pena replaced him at 3rd.

IPK looks like IPK…garbage. 87 and wild. Cannot find the zone, if he does it’s going to get hit HARD!!!

HBP, walk…1st and 2nd, 1 out…gotta love IPK. He is so f-cking horrible. By far the worst f-cking pitcher of all time. F-cking douchebag. Blowing the game.

I guess with the scrub squad lineup and AJ pitching I should be glad we are even in the game in the 8th, let alone in front…for now.

K and then a 4 pitch walk to Figgy to load the bases…this games over. Towers is warming in the pen so it really doesn’t matter.
IPK = fail
It’s all good though, save the bullets for the Saaaaaaaawks.

Molina drops the f-cking foul tip right in his glove…that is going to come back to haunt us. F-CK!!!

IPK GOT OUT OF IT!!!! NEGATIVE REINFORCEMENT STRIKES AGAIN!!!
3-2 heading to the top of the 9th!!!

Gardner K’s on a pitch that was so far outside the backup catcher in the dugout caught it…shadows or not, that was pathetic.
Molina pops out on the 1st pitch. 2 outs.

YANKEES WIN…THAAAAAAAA YANKEES WIN!!!! IN ANAHEIM!!! I CAN’T BELIEVE IT!!!
…and with a scrub squad against their A+ lineup and pitcher!!!! NIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!
Time to watch the Sabres now. PEACE!!!

See ya Angels. That’s one monkey off our back. It’s not October, but still – we played them to a .500 record this season and took a series from them in their house. Love it.
If the Sox lose today or tomorrow, then the yanks can clinch the division against them this weekend without sweeping.

And suddenly, the Yankees are the ones who are sitting pretty, and the Sox’s postseason prospects are troubling.
If the Sox lose tonight or tomorrow, the Yankees can clinch against them at home by winning 2 games. That’d be pretty sweet.

and the Sox’s postseason prospects are troubling.
I must have missed the part where the Red Sox lost or had a key injury or something that would make me actually troubled about their postseason prospects.

So is the general consensus that the Yankees will pick the ALDS A schedule? Right now the options are:
ALDS A:
Game 1 – Oct 7
Game 2 – Oct 9
Game 3 – Oct 11
Game 4 – Oct 12
Game 5 – Oct 14
ALDS B:
Game 1 – Oct 8
Game 2 – Oct 9
Game 3 – Oct 11
Game 4 – Oct 12
Game 5 – Oct 14
It seems like an easy choice to take the first schedule, since they would only need to use 3 starters. With Pettitte’s shoulder, and Joba’s arm, could they really do anything else? I’m going to go ahead and assume that’s what’s going on, and plan for the Sox games in Schedule B.

That’s a good assumption, Ath. The question for the Yankees is what do they fear more: Joba/Gaudin starting a game, or facing Edwin Jackson twice?
Now, if the Detroit/Minnesota race tightens such that Verlander cannot start Game 1, then I think they choose the ‘B’ schedule, so as to not face him twice.

You mean continuing futility on the road and a rather vulnerable bullpen (check out the bullpen splits the last two months…not good) isn’t troubling? Okay then.

Um…the Yankees and Sox are going to play in the ALCS Andrew, it’s written in the stars! Unless we choke, which is very possible. The Sox are going to ass-pound the Angels due to their sorry bullpen. We just need to hold up our end of the deal…

Andrew, we’re about 54 hours from the Sox winning 10 of their last 11, the Yanks losing 4 of their last z, and the combination of these facts putting a genuine fright into Yanks fans vis-a-vis the division race and this weekend’s series. Since then two starters that are unlikely to see October action have lost games for Boston and the Yanks have squeaked out two 1-run games in LA. You do what you want to do of course, but I’ll hold back on discounting Boston’s post-season prospects until the Yanks (or Angels) have actually faced and beaten them in October. As it stands now, Boston’s starting rotation is at least as daunting as the Yanks front 3 and the Yanks offense is slightly better – though rather significantly so in road games, all of which may mean nothing if one or the other gets hot in about 10 days.

All I’m saying is that things can turn very quickly in baseball. No team, including the Red Sox, should feel comfortable, no matter what John Kruk says.
And the division ‘fight’ was never closer than 5 games. All the worry was about best-case worst-case projection.

the combination of these facts putting a genuine fright into Yanks fans vis-a-vis the division race and this weekend’s series
Speak for yourself. The division was finished a month ago.
More curious is the bit you leave out – the Sox going from “invincible” on this site to SFs here not showing up all day yesterday following just two losses.
Don’t you guys get whiplash from the herking and jerking between elation and paranoia?

By the way, I was so confident these games were meaningless I sold my Friday tix on Monday…and for a 300% profit.

Rob, SF is rather infamous for his back-and-forth nature on the status of the Red Sox. Lots of fans are like that, actually. My dad included.
The beginning of this year I decided to take the long view the entire way, as it’s the only way I can stay sane during the regular season. I think a consequence was that the highs weren’t quite so high, but the lows were quite shallow. I’ll take that tradeoff any day.
Of course, I can’t take the long view in the postseason. If the Yankees lose, I’ll be quite depressed for a few days. But if they win, I’ll be on top of the world all through the offseason. Such are the risks and rewards of sports fandom.

No doubt I’ll be upset if the Yanks lose and for weeks. And no doubt my emotion gets tied to the team during the season. But can’t everyone here agree that this week’s see-saw was even a tad bit…absurd?

> The division was finished a month ago.
One could say today that it likely was. But it wasn’t fact. And it isn’t fact.
> the Sox going from “invincible” on this site
You are editorializing.
> Don’t you guys get whiplash from the herking and jerking between elation and paranoia?
Personally, I would think that jerking might be a better course of action to relieve tension than engaging in passive-aggressive sniping to talk about how much more reasoned and balanced one may be than “you guys”, but what would my hairy palms that I can’t see know.
> can’t everyone here agree that this week’s see-saw was even a tad bit…absurd?
No, I do not agree that last week saw a see-saw.

More curious is the bit you leave out – the Sox going from “invincible” on this site to SFs here not showing up all day yesterday following just two losses.
Don’t you guys get whiplash from the herking and jerking between elation and paranoia?
Posted by: Rob | Thursday, September 24, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Can’t keep away, can you Rob? Your trolling isn’t even clever or based on fact anymore. It’s just bad trolling.

You are editorializing.
The title of the post was “The Invincible Men”.
And here come the personal attacks again…

P.s. There’s nothing passive about me. But yeah, if someone is going to tell me I was frightened because of one bad week within a great season, then yeah I’ll sound “more reasoned”.

> personal attacks
Sure, if you want to feel that way, I am “attacking” you. I am personally “attacking” you, Rob. I am attacking — by describing it as editorializing — you and your selection of the title of a single post in which the content of said same post went on to describe that those “invincible” men really weren’t, and that the situation that was occurring was extremely unlikely to be sustainable, and then ascribing that to the general tenor of the overall discussion. Consider yourself attacked.

AG – I have never thought you’ve attacked me. And sure criticize me all you want. I dish it out, I should certainly be able to take it. I can. Fire away.

Well, when we were sucking huge amounts of ass the beginning of the year, there weren’t many YF’s around here Rob. I don’t think one fanbase or another has a monopoly on “fairweather-ness”, which I think you are trying to say perhaps? Of course, most people on here have a life and miss games sometimes. Not me, I’m always here!!! Like cockroaches or Larry the Cable Guy…

I think most Sox fans are storing up all their baseball-related enthusiasm for the playoffs, which are now two weeks away. The fact that football season has started doesn’t help either.

By on the constant interest in exterminating my opinions, I think I’m closer to the cockroach.
The Sox are going to the playoffs and with a solid team. I don’t know why any SF should be upset.

I know why I wasn’t here these last two days, and it had nothing to do with two days of teaching, three work deadlines, and my kids starting two new schools and my wife and I having work engagements on two of the evenings, obviating solo parenting duties on those nights.
It was because the Sox lost to the Royals. Yep, that’s it.

I like the fact that I seem to have stronger differences of opinion with my Yankee fan brethren than I do with my Sox fan brethren, but that’s only because Dr. Nick had one of his operatives inject me in the base of the skull with an exploding capsule and a multi-purpose attenuated actuator which he can alternatively manipulate, and detonate, from his Secret Island Lair.
I am Dr. Nick’s Tool.

Dr. Nick had one of his operatives inject me in the base of the skull with an exploding capsule and a multi-purpose attenuated actuator which he can alternatively manipulate, and detonate, from his Secret Island Lair.
Weird, he gave me something he called, simply, “Lytta Vesicatoria”.

Step 1: Atheose read SF’s post
Step 2: Atheose googled “Lytta Vesicatoria”
Step 3: Atheose vomited all over his keyboard

Regular posters, off the top of my head:
Sox Fans:
SF (mod)
Paul (mod)
Brad
ImBillMcNeal
Rootbeerfloat
Atheose
Devine
Stuck working
sf rod
Micah
Hudson
Yanks Fans:
YF (mod)
Ironhorse (mod)
attackgerbil (mod)
Nick (mod)
John (mod)
Krueg
AndrewYF
Rob
Sam-YF
Mark-YF
Sorry if I missed anyone, but that’s just off the top of my head. 11 Sox Fans, 10 Yanks Fans. Yeah Rob, it’s like goddamn Auschwitz in here.

> Sorry if I missed anyone
dc
soxgirl
yankeemonkey
walein
nettles
rob sf
pale blue eyes
kazz
.. and so many more.
Thank you to all the commentators.. ALL OF YOU.. that make this site thrive.
oh, and A YF. Can’t forget it.

Were we actually having a discussion about the back and forth nature of fans and their hysterics without talking about Krueg? Not that I don’t love the guy — reading Yanks gamers when the score seesaws back and forth is one of the high points of my week.

Thanks for the assist AG. I feel like a jackass for missing some of those, especially dc.
Good point RBF, how could we leave out the Trials and Tribulations of Krueg, which every Yankee gamers turns into?

“Fairweatherness” and living and dying with every game are not at all the same thing. They are not even in the same league.
Embarassing or not, during baseball season my mood is affected by how the Yankees play – not permanently or even all day long, but on a daily basis for alternating length of time that depend on how they are doing overall, against whom and in what fashion they won or lost, and whether another game is coming within hours to either wash away the bad taste or threaten to sour the good one from yesterday’s game.
I don’t think that makes me any better or worse of a fan than anyone else, but it is part of the joy I get out of following this team and this sport. It’s the only sport and team that effects me in this way.
Expressions of “I was confident all along” from fans usually strike me as fronts based in a silly conception of what it means to be a “real fan”, be macho, or whatever. But if it is a true reflection of one’s feelings, I don’t have a problem with it other than to find it uninteresting. Almost as uninteresting as hearing how much of a profit fans turn from selling their tickets to baseball games.
By the way AG – well done on the Zeppelin reference at the top…

And thanks to IH who periodically has to explain AG’s references to the some of the rest of us.

No problem rbf – gerbils communicate through a pulsating high-pitched frequency detectable only to bald yankee fans.
and other species of rodentia of course

By the way AG – well done on the Zeppelin reference at the top…
Oh sweet holy hell, how did I miss that? I would usually claim ignorance due to being born in the 80’s, but Led Zeppelin is my favorite band, so I fail on an epic level.

What??? What am I reading??? I’m very even keeled… ;)
YFSF is my therapy and you are all my therapists…and for free!

It’s OK Atheose – I only picked up on it because I am one of the millions who lost their virginity to the sweet sounds of Scott Kazmir.
Wait. That didn’t come out right.

Just as there’s a simple test for knowing when an argument has gotten personal, there’s also a simple test for knowing when an argument hits upon some version of the truth: Do those who disagree wildly flail trying refute it?
Yeah, I’d say bringing up the Holocaust satisfies that test case.
Sure, a poll is error prone but at least that would represent some version of the collective truth rather than an opinion or two.
But instead, why not run a simple script to count all the comments and by specific authors. As you’ve pointed out we easily know where allegiances lie. You could even do the same for posts by moderator. That solution is simple enough if you care as much about balance as me hitting this nerve would seem to suggest.
You’ve got the data. Prove me wrong. And personally I’d love to know how much I’ve commented relative to others.

And like that Zeppelin classic, certain elements of this thread drag on and on.
Also like the Holocaust.
Actually Rob, I’d run that srcipt, but I have such full confidence that it would be meaningless to 99% of visitors that I sold it instead. And for a 400% profit! Woo-hoo!!

krueg wins.
Prove it. Then let’s see the top 20 and break that down by fan allegiance. Or give me the data and I’ll do the work. Paul can check my math because he won’t believe me otherwise.

Hey, you’ve got the data. Why not share it? What are you afraid of?
I’m not afraid of being wrong. IH though obviously takes it personally when he is. I’d think by now he’d be used to the feeling.

Seriously, Rob, why in hell do you care? If there are more SFs than YFs – what does that mean? What point are you trying to prove? If SFs comment more when the Sox are winning and YFs comment more when the Yanks are winning? You get to be right about what exactly? I can’t believe for the life of me that ANYONE comments more than Krueg – Kruegsreincarnate probably comes in second.

Do I care? Not really. But there’s such a strong backlash to an off-hand comment, I must be onto something. And to me data is always interesting especially when used to settle arguments.
This one can easily, very easily, be settled.

> Prove it.
Oh my goodness, what a horrible, tiring request. You want to know? Hit previous on the the posts and look it up yourself. If you are really ambitious, read the threads from a couple years ago. I guarantee there was not a more prolific commenter than attackgerbil, especially on Yankees posts, but on Sox posts as well. It’s how I got this job. (Plus, I paid SF off in the only currency I know, alfalfa tablets). And what does that mean? Jack shit. Krueg comments in volume, and I love it. So does Ath, and so do others. It doesn’t mean that their comments slant the site one way or the other. It is just passion for baseball, plain and simple. Enjoy it. Or not. I don’t give a fuck.

Wow, I really have hit a nerve. Must be onto something.
Give me the data. I’ll do all the work. Sure, I could crawl but then I’d have to parse. You already have the db structure.

Got me Rob. God this is so much like the Holocaust I can’t believe it.
Oh I don’t know, I think it’s more like Stalin’s show trials. Or maybe the cultural revolution.

What is pissing me off about this is that Rob keeps interrupting a perfectly fine conversation about IH losing his virginity to Scott Kazmir.

Kinda like the guy who farts on an elevator and leaves. Except that he won’t actually leave – and keeps farting.

WOO HOO!!!! I’M #1!!!! I’M #1!!!!
I post the most comments YET bring the least to the conversation…not sure I’m really that proud of that now that I think about it. As long as you guys put up with my neurosis, I guess it’s cool.
You know what Rob, I honestly used to think the way you do about the leaning of this board, but it really doesn’t. The people on here are all pretty cool and MUCH better than the respective YF/SF’s you would meet on the street. Everyone deep down inside hates the other team, that’s just a given, and sometimes that comes out a little. Kinda like when you are holding one in on a date. (since flatulence seems to be the theme of the day?) I’m not exactly what your point is but it isn’t worth it. I’m not sure how you can prove your opinion 100% right or wrong. There may be more SF’s on here than YF’s but it’s really all good bro. We all get along, for the most part, but arguments do break out from time to time. But when you are getting it from both sides? From everyone? Perhaps it’s time to throw in the towel on the fight, you know? Because if you keep on your current tact, no matter how you feel about it, you will be shut out of the conversation. This is the mod’s sight. AG and IH, from a YF perspective are always fair and balanced (unlike Fox, hehe) so I tend to bend to their old, bald ways…you should to bro.
The End. Go Yankees.

I know why I wasn’t here these last two days, and it had nothing to do with two days of teaching, three work deadlines, and my kids starting two new schools and my wife and I having work engagements on two of the evenings, obviating solo parenting duties on those nights.
It was because the Sox lost to the Royals. Yep, that’s it.

Duh, SF, don’t you know that you should be living and dying with this ballclub and not attending to your job, wife and children. How dare you have a life???!!
Of course, I’ll be working late again tonight (second in a row), and after that spending another two hours on the book I’ve started writing (third in four nights), but yes, it’s obvious that we’re just fair-weather fans around here… when we’re not exterminating people’s opinions.
And, yes, this rebuttal is at least four hours too late. It’s because the Sox only won by six runs last night, and I was too embarrassed to show up until now.

No offense, AG & IH, but step aside. Let me show you how this is done:
My son: You like my brother more, I have proof.
Me: Yes, dear.
Him: You text him more often than you text me.
Me: I do not
Him: Hand me your phone, I will prove it to you.
Me: No.
Him: See? It must be true. I bet if you counted the number of texts, you probably already have, you know you text him more. Proves you’re biased against me.
Me: I am not hand you my phone to count number of texts.
Him: It’s so easy, why won’t you do it?
Me: Because, you nitwit, the number of texts won’t tell you anything.
Him: Yes, it will – it proves you love him more. Go ahead, do it, count them. It’s so easy, why don’t you just do it.
Me: If I count the number of texts and you don’t like the numbers, you’ll tell me to count the words in each one, or the number of positive things said in each one or how many in the last two weeks, or how many in the month of August when the Sox sucked, or some such thing. And then I’ll spend the next two weeks correlating data and that would be a violation of the oath I took when I got my MIT degree – no stupid tricks with data. We don’t want them to take it back, do we? Now, go to your room.

That was kinda awesome parenting…if I ever have kids, I’m going to SG for advice. No doubt.

Krueg –
Unfortunately, I don’t think my methods will work for you. The only advantage to being in an all-boy household (which is like living in a locker room) is that my “no” answer has three explanations:
they will take away my college degree (see above)
they will take away my mom license (letting you build a bike ramp in the driveway)
they will take away my girl credentials (compete in the all-house armpit fart contest).

Just decided: starting a musical trivia post theme effective now on every post I write. no cheating. or cheat away. I don’t care. There’s no prize. If there’s a lyric in the title, it will have a ~ << tildé in the header. First correct answer wins the undying affection of gerbil nation, population: me.

See, K, that’s where this place becomes Fox News. They don’t shut off debate. They only let through that which they agree with.

No, there are many of your posts here, disagreeing with virtually everyone. What they finally did was say, “Now, go to your room.”

Here’s the thing, Rob: I will let your recent comments stand, despite your efforts to circumvent an IP ban, and I will delete every comment you make henceforth and every comment you ever made and every comment you ever make if you continue your stance regarding what you call “debate”. Contact yfsf@yfsf.org if you want to know why.

In a thread that thoroughly entertaining throughout, I think soxgirl is the winner. Great stuff!
This is quite something to wake up to. Can you do something like this again.
I’m a bit confused about something. Does all of this mean that Victor Zambrano fits into IH’s love life somehow? And why no mention of P Diddy. He re-imagined the Zep song and made it hip hop. The point is that we haven’t begun to examine the number of ramifications here.
You guys rock! Thanks for my morning reading.

I also have an idea for a site. “The Interior Monologue of Kreug” where we post all of kreug’s comments in the order they were made as continuous blog posts. A scroll of hilarity! What do you think, kreug?
By the way, you, my brother, have managed to reintroduce the term “rowdy” into my daily speech. Thanks!

What is pissing me off about this is that Rob keeps interrupting a perfectly fine conversation about IH losing his virginity to Scott Kazmir.
Woah now, I really need to keep up with these threads while they’re occurring, and not two days later.
Nick, I fully support a Krueg-related website. I read the Yankees gamers for Krueg alone most days!

“…Thanks for the assist AG. I feel like a jackass for missing some of those, especially dc….”
yeah, ath, how could you forget me?…although there is an argument that i’m not really regular…irregular might be a more accurate description…and now i have hurt feelings on top of it…
as for being a fair weather fan, there is none greater [worse?] than me…i live and die with the yankees…like you other guys, i have other things in my life, but the yankees are very much in the mix…there’s nothing wrong with being an emotional fan and riding that roller coaster, rob…while sf and i don’t have the same team allegiance in common, i think we do share the need to get away from this once in awhile, especially when our respective teams aren’t doing so well…he and i have propped each other up in the past when things looked bad for our teams, and that’s pretty cool…while i enjoy the back and forth with him, and all of you for that matter, i don’t enjoy the schadenfreude so much, because i know how it feels to be on the other side…
i guess i tolerate rob a little better than most of you…having leveled a similar charge myself, i’d be a hypocrite if i criticized his message…his style, or lack thereof, on the other hand, is fair game…he’s as persistent as a mosquito with his annoying buzz, determined to suck the life out of every conversation…yes, that was a personal attack…the raw data he’s requesting is relevant of nothing…he’s trying to prove a point that i finally realized is pointless…
oh, and by the way, krueg is da man…

So far in this thread Rob’s engagement has been likened to that of a cockroach (by him and then SF), a man who farts repeatedly in crowded enclosed spaces (by rbf), and an annoying parasitic insect (by dc).
The Holocaust, Stalin’s show trials, and the cultural revolution have also been invoked.
Just wanted to catch anyone up who might have missed the highlights. Also very sad to see this thread seemingly closing. Too much good comedy here…
Glad to see you come in dc. And also that we can all agree on one thing: having insight into krueg’s fan-dementia is a real joy for yfs and sfs alike.

I posted but it didn’t take…weak.
Jist:
Thanks guys, love you too!
A thread with all my comments would be rated NC17/50, not intended for children or old people. (IH and AG)
Just took a couple muscle relaxers at work because of my old back injury from ‘Nam, should be interesting. Going to turn off the lights and listen to some Pink Floyd…

Comments are closed.